- 2kg vine ripened tomatoes (or 1kg plus 1 large tin crushed tomatoes)
- 1 fresh red chilli (or less, depending on your capacity for chilli)
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 2 small spanish (purple) onions, diced
- 4tbsp red wine
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1-2 T balsamic vinegar
- A small bunch of fresh basil
Quarter the tomatoes , toss in some oil, salt and pepper and roast them with the garlic cloves for 2 hours on 160 degrees C.
Dice 2 spanish onions, saute them with the chilli and add in the red wine. (If you are not a wine drinker, leave this out).
Add in the tomatoes (if you are using a tin, add this at this point also), balsamic vinegar and basil.
Add in lentils and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Pour soup mix into a blender or food processor and blend!
Served with cashew cream and basil pesto – delicious!
1 cup of cashews soaked in 1 cup non dairy milk for 2 hours.
Blend and refrigerate.
For the pesto, see here.